Skip to main content
Bowl of Fruit on Kitchen Counter Top.


Reasonable Accommodation


The New York State Human Rights Law requires housing providers to make reasonable accommodations or modifications to a building or living space to meet the needs of people with disabilities. For example, if you have a physical mental or medical impairment, you can ask your housing provider to make the common areas of your building accessible, or to change certain policies to meet your needs.

To make a reasonable accommodation request, you should contact your property manager by calling at (716) 852-2027 or TTY 711 or e-mailing at You will need to show your housing provider that you have a disability or health problem that interferes with your use of housing, and that your request for accommodation may be necessary to provide you equal access and opportunity to use and enjoy your housing or the amenities and services normally offered by your housing provider.

If you believe you have been denied a reasonable accommodation for your disability, or that you were denied housing or retaliated against because you requested a reasonable accommodation, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights.

Specifically, if you have a physical or mental disability you can request:

  • Changes to your housing providers rules, policies, practices, or services
  • Permission to change the interior of your housing unit to make it accessible; however, you are required to pay for those modifications and your housing provider may require you to restore the premises to its original condition when you move out
  • Changes to common areas of the building so you have an equal opportunity to use the building (The New York Human Rights Law requires housing providers to pay for reasonable accommodations to common use areas).
Examples of reasonable accommodations that may be requested under the New York State Human Rights Law include:
  • If you have a mobility impairment, your housing provider may be required to provide a ramp or other reasonable means to permit you to enter the building
  • If your doctor provides documentation that having an animal will assist with your disability, you should be permitted to have the animal despite a no pet rule
  • If you need grab bars in your bathroom, you can request an accommodation to have them installed. If your housing was built for first occupancy after March 13, 1991, and the walls need to be reinforced for grab bars your housing provider must pay for that to be done
  • If you have an impairment that requires a parking space close to your unit, you can request your housing provider to provide you with that parking space or place you at the top of the waiting list if no adjacent spot is available
  • If you have a visual impairment and require printed notices in an alternative format such as large print font, or need notices to be available to you electronically, you can request that accommodation from your landlord.

Required Accessibility Standards
All buildings constructed for use after March 13, 1991, are required to meet the following standards:
  • Public and common areas must be readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities
  • All doors must be sufficiently wide to allow passage by persons in wheelchairs
  • All multi-family buildings must contain accessible passageways fixtures, outlets, thermostats, bathrooms, and kitchens. If you believe that the building does not meet these standards, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights

How to file a complaint
A complaint must be filed within one year of the alleged discriminatory act. You can find more information on your rights and on the procedures for filing a complaint by going to www., or by calling 1-888-392-3644. You can obtain a complaint form on the web site, or one can be mailed or e- mailed to you. You can also call or e-mail a division regional office. The regional offices are listed on the website.